Letter from Coach Galvin
Football practice is right around the corner.
The football staff hopes you are getting ready, both physically and mentally, for the upcoming season. We expect a large turnout and are very excited about the 2014 season. We will be preparing all summer for a Section Championship and State Championship. When we begin practice Monday August 12 we have less than 3 weeks before our first game. Here are dates you need to know:
Fall Sports Registration will be done online after July 6th.
Go to Moundsviewschools.org click on Mounds View High School and the click on Athletics/Activities. Your son must have a Physical exam within the last three years or bring the new physical form (online) with you if you are getting one. You must have this registration done before your son can practice.
Mustang Varsity/Sophomore Football Camp July 21-24, 8:00-10:00am at MVHS
All 10-12 graders are encouraged to participate. Varsity coaches will do all instructing. Weight Training will be before and after camp each day.
Mustang Youth Football Camp July 21-24, 6:00-8:00pm at MVHS grades 4-9
All freshmen should participate and will receive their green practice jersey.
Varsity coaches will do all instructing. All 10th-12th grade players are helpers.
Equipment Check Out July 28-31 at the end of summer weight training session. Bring a lock freshmen bring 2 locks. If you can’t make, you need to show up at 6:00am on Aug. 11.
Football Relays July 28-31 this will be part of the summer weight training program. Players must complete 40 yard dash, 300 yard shuttle, bench max, clean max and squat max. If a player is not in our summer program, he must come any of these days to get football relays done.
- 6. Practice Schedule
Monday August 11-Thursday August 22, two weeks of 2 a day practice
(Plan on picking boys up at 2:15)
7:00 meetings (teams may start meetings at 7:15 or 7:30 after the first day)
9:45-11:45 lunch, lifting, meetings, video
- Items to bring the first day include:
- Make sure you registered online
- Football shoes
- Tennis shoes (for sore feet and lifting),
- A couple pair of socks, t-shirts, cup and shorts (dry stuff for 2nd practice)
- Mouth guard ($1 if you don’t already have one)
- Practice jersey ($15 if you don’t already have one)
- Lunch and water jug (players are not allowed to leave during lunch)
- Lock, freshmen bring 2 locks
Monday August 25 we start our regular school practice schedule 2:00-5:00
- 7. Freshmen Scrimmage on Friday August 22 10:00am at MVHS with Elk River and Spring Lake Park
Varsity & Sophomores Scrimmage on Saturday August 23 at MVHS at 9:00am
with Rosemount, Coon Rapids and North Branch. The Mounds View Football Boosters will provide a lunch for all our players after the scrimmages.
- 8. Picture Day Monday, August 11 @10:30. Order forms in this packet or order later.
We have to get pictures done early to complete our game program.
- 9. Mustang Coupon Card Blitz Thursday, August 14 You will be given 10 cards to sell at $15 apiece, over the weekend. You will be expected to turn in $150 on Monday August 18. These cards are a great deal.
- 10. Back to Football Night Tuesday, August 19 in the Auditorium at MVHS 6:00pm. Player and a parent must attend a Chemical Awareness and Injury Warning Workshop before you can participate in a game. This meeting is held in conjunction with our "Back to Football Night".
Make sure you and your parents are aware of all events that take place and plan your schedule accordingly. It is important to your teammates that you show up on time and in shape. Communication is extremely important. If any questions or problems arise contact me.